Tuesday, August 14, 2007

this time tomorrow what will we know? will we still be here watching an in-flight movie show...........


mount rushmore. probably back in '90. our road trip to utah every other summer. it was some anniversary of harley davidson, so there were hundreds of bikers sharing the open road with us. we thought the do-rags were neat, so some of my brothers took their shirts off and wrapped them around their heads, maybe even waved them 'round their heads like a helicopter, and banged on the windows of our big blue van. lots of bikers. that explains why the gentleman seated next to my sister looks so rugged. we all look a bit rugged. that's actually our uncle ron. something happened and mom doesn't let us talk to him anymore. sometimes he'll show up at birthday parties without warning. he told me that he stays in south dakota every august awaiting our return. that's silly, because i've only been there that one time. ron's the uncle that takes you to 7-11 to get a slurpee, and you end up just standing by the slurpee fountains drinking every flavor and leave without paying. i remember asking, "uncle ron, isn't that kind of like stealing?" and he said, "oh, no, no. they owed those to me. don't worry about it." he lied. i was too full of slurpee to worry about it. plus he gave my brothers and i those shorts that we're wearing in the picture. you can't stay mad at uncle ron after a kind gesture like that. i don't really have an uncle ron.

8 comments:

Megs said...

I laughed so hard and out loud when I read this post. Thanks for making my day!! What a great picture.

Jess said...

Did you really have to post this picture? :) I miss Uncle Ron too!

Anonymous said...

i wish you had an uncle ron. so hard. i'm disappointed.

aniC said...

man...my husband was a hoooo-Tie. i miss those shorts...wish he still had them.

meredith said...

uncle ron used to take me to the tatoo parlor and I would watch him get another female's name inked on his back. it is kind of like that lou bega song...you know mambo number five. The ink artist would give me a sucker as I waited on that leather chair that stuck to the back of my legs when I tried to stand up. Maybe thats where my love for tats came from. Thanks ron.

Nick Cottrell said...

uncle ron is the reason why i think smoking is cool.

Unknown said...

I like to call uncle ron, Don Ron, because he got all the ladies. It must have been the stonewash faded jeans.

austinmcraig said...

Uncle Ron stories should be a regular feature on this blog. i can't imagine there are any shortage of uncle ron experiences to talk about. Please, for your anxious readers, more about uncle ron.