Friday, February 1, 2008

barcelona gold.

back in '92 i was able to travel to barcelona with the dream team. grandpa chuck (daly) invited me to be a part of the team. I was roommates with uncle christian (laettner). i was kind of peeved at grandpa chuck, because he knew how much i disliked duke basketball, but i couldn't stay mad for long, because i know how much grandpa chuck loves learning experiences. uncle christian wasn't half bad and actually handled my poking fun at the difficult pronunciation of coach krzyzewski's name rather well. i wore the same outfit during the olympics in its entirety. uncle karl (malone) said it was good luck. At that very moment uncle chris (mullin) walked by mockingly singing "very superstitious." uncle chris surprisingly had much more soul than his crewcut let on. multiple times uncle chris, uncle david (robinson), and uncle patrick (ewing) threatened to give me a flattop if i didn't stop teasing them for rocking one themselves. they can dish it out, but they can't take it. uncle scottie (pippen) and i sort of had a falling out after i asked him, "how does it feel to ride on uncle michael's (jordan) coattails all the way to spain?" it was just a joke. i asked him the same question a few years later only i reworded "to spain" as "to become one of the nba's top 50 players of all time." that was our second falling out. after that i no longer referred to him as "uncle scottie." (scottie pippen was a very good basketballer.) me and uncle charles (barkley) would pull all sorts of pranks on the other guys. we would laugh and laugh. i'm currently in uncle chuck's fav 5.

uncles magic, larry, and michael chose me to be in this picture with them. the hand gestures were uncle larry's idea. i thought it was silly, so i didn't participate. uncle larry asked, "why don't you do a zero with your hands." making up a clever lie, trying not to hurt his feelings, i told him, "uncle larry, my shorts are a bit loud already, i fear that if i make a zero as well I will draw too much attention to myself." you can't see, but scottie was actually watching the photo shoot the whole time. he was so jealous. i guess uncle michael had promised him my seat in the picture, but changed his mind without telling scottie. you should have seen his face drop when he saw me in his seat. sorry, homie.

me on uncle clyde's (drexler) shoulders was his own idea. blocking uncle chuck's face in the picture was mine. we just have that kind of relationship.

this was the gold medal ceremony. i wasn't actually invited. i brought my stool up there anyways and acted natural. i always know where the camera's at.

these were my other friends i made in spain. i never understood anything they said, but i loved to hear them argue in spanish. i would pretend they were arguing about whether or not you ever see nanny's face on muppet babies. in my best spanish i would always say, "no." i say that because you never do see her face.

i will never forget the summer of 1992.

12 comments:

D Smith said...

Brilliant

Unknown said...

The shoulder ride on Uncle Clyde was great. Laettner looks so out of place around everyone else.

Megs said...

I am going to be honest and say tht I didn't really "read" your post, but the pictures gave me a great laugh before I headed out to the gym today. I needed that.

Anonymous said...

Si, se puede ver la cara de nanny. soy indignado!

Jess said...

Thanks for making me laugh! That was hilarious!

aniC said...

that was fun.

Meg said...

I will never forget how cute you are.

Tiffany said...

oh man i love this

ida.ho said...

thanks for sharing this story. they always make my day :]

D Smith said...

Chuck Daly is the second most forgotten dream teamer besides Latener. I bet they get together on occasion to talk about how great that was, they have to talk to each other because the other dream teamers pretend they don't see them when they're in public.

Krista and Trey said...

I dont know who is cooler, You or Laettner.

David Eff said...

I just can't tell you. Not with words. I want to kiss you on the forehead until you die.