Sunday, February 3, 2008



Someone a while ago, on this blog, said that noone dreams anymore. This isn't directed against that person, for this person is truly a lovely person, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about all of the dreams I have. I dream about times past. I dream about golfing with my dad at the Merced Golf and Country Club. With him, golf is more about life than about the game. I like that. I dream about Europe. I dream of sitting in this chair, thousands of miles from anyone I know, but not feeling alone. I dream of my kids. I dream of having a back yard big enough to beable to play catch. They'll have memories of me. I dream about taking my teenage daughter to get icecream on a Tuesday night. Just me and her, noone else. I want to be old. I want to sit on my front porch and watch the world pass me by. I'll have one of those fake bubblegum cigarettes that have that powder that you can blow out to make it look like smoke. I'll never actually chew the gum because it's always the cheap kind and it makes my jaw hurt. I'll be sitting on my porch with someone who wants to listen to me as much as I want to listen to her, and after 50 years of life together we'll still have something to talk about on that warm summer's evening. I dream about my funeral. I imagine hundred of people sending their condolances to my family with stories of service, little things I did for them that my family, and perhaps I myself, never knew about. I dream of a life shaped by Him who is the greatest of all.

5 comments:

Meg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I used to have this dream, the greatest dream I ever dreamed... I wanted to go inside the Temple, I wanted to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the kingdom of God... and they ended up wanting me too. I do not think I deserve anything else. My dream came true.

brooke said...

spencer, your posts make up the entire "deep" part of deepthoughtsandlove i think. but i was disturbed by that comment too-- there are plenty of dreamers out there, meg! glad to know somebody else dreams about their funeral cause i thought maybe i imagine mine to an abnormal degree

MJ said...

spencer. that was beautiful. i think that dreams are the stuff life is made of and if we lose our dreams we lose our humanity, because dreaming is like hoping.

Kirk said...

Spencer, I'll probably be the only guy who comments on this entry but that's ok with me for it truly was a deep thought; and I am all about things that make people think! It's not often that I can start reading something that paints vivid pictures like that and still keeps my eyes moving forward! You the mangh!